I've been playing softball the last few summers with my church here in K-town, and I have to say, this year is fun, better than all the other years! It's been so helpful to have people encouraging me, but most of all, there's one particular guy who has helped boost my confidence in my ability to play well. He's very good at encouraging everyone on the team, but I think he's the only person ever to tell me that I can do it, that he believes I am a totally capable ball player, he sees my potential as being a valuable player to the team, and that the balls I always avoided were completely within my reach. It's a good feeling, having someone believe in you! And it's helping so much. Also, another player put it to me simply, the glove should do most of the work for you, get a bigger glove. Now why on earth did no one ever tell me that?? I know, it seems so simple, I'd be blind not to know....but for someone who's not super-sports oriented, details like a bigger glove aren't that obvious.
As a result of all this helpful encouragement, I bought a 12.5 inch ball glove. Playing with a bigger glove has proved to make my game a whole lot better. On top of that, I picked up some cleats. They really do help you run better...well, actually, they help you stop better. :) Running shoes just weren't cutting it, I was slip-sliding everywhere. Hiking shoes were simply too hot for running around humid, sticky weather. Now that I've got the proper gear, all I have to focus on is my game- hitting the ball under pressure, getting around on the bases, and fielding those softballs. This I can do. Sweet. :D
As a result of all this helpful encouragement, I bought a 12.5 inch ball glove. Playing with a bigger glove has proved to make my game a whole lot better. On top of that, I picked up some cleats. They really do help you run better...well, actually, they help you stop better. :) Running shoes just weren't cutting it, I was slip-sliding everywhere. Hiking shoes were simply too hot for running around humid, sticky weather. Now that I've got the proper gear, all I have to focus on is my game- hitting the ball under pressure, getting around on the bases, and fielding those softballs. This I can do. Sweet. :D
